At times, specific NIAID buildings can be adversely affected by severe weather events or other types of emergencies. There are several options for staying updated on building-specific issues. Due to the nature of power outages affecting phone services and Internet access, we have several options available for communicating with staff.
- Phone: Call 877-591-1853 or local call 301-443-8242 to get any NIAID-specific emergency information.
- NIAID Facebook page
- NIAID Yammer site —Enter your NIH email address and click Sign-Up. Use your PIV card and PIN to log in or your NIH network credentials and password.
If you are at work and face an emergency situation, refer to these guides for instructions on what to do and whom to contact:
- Emergency Procedures Quick Reference Guide
- Emergency Preparedness Contacts Quick Reference Guide
- Severe Weather
- Shelter-In-Place (SIP)
- Bomb Threats
- Suspicious Mail or Package
- Bodily Fluids or Chemical Spills
- Medical Emergency
- Active Shooter
- Utility Outages
Federal Government Information
There are three ways to find out the operating status of the federal government in the Washington, DC, area:
- Web: Federal Government Operating Status in the Washington, DC, Area
App: OPM Alert (OPM website) is the official operating status app of the Office of Personnel Management. This free app provides a real time look at the current operating status for federal government offices in the Washington, DC, area.
- Phone: 202-606-1900
Hearing-impaired users may use the Federal Relay Service by dialing 800-877-8339 to reach a communications assistant (CA). The CA will dial the requested number and relay the conversation between a standard (voice) telephone user and text telephone (TTY) user.
- Email: Sign up to receive email notification of changes in the operating status of the federal government in the Washington, DC, area.
Local Government Information
Go to Capitalert to sign up for free emergency alerts from local governments in the Washington, DC, area.