A lockdown is a procedure used when there is an immediate threat to the building occupants in instances where it may be more dangerous to leave the building than to stay in secured areas.
Lockdowns may occur for various reasons, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Hazardous chemical outside the building
- A weather-related event
- Police action outside the building
- Hazardous material exposure inside the building
- Remain calm.
- Secure yourself either in the room you are in, or in a room nearby that is securable.
- Do not activate the fire alarm.
- Do not leave the area until either the situation has been resolved, or you are directed by emergency personnel, unless there is a greater risk to your safety by remaining in your current location.
- No one will be allowed to enter or exit the building until the appropriate authorities have given an all-clear.
- When the all-clear is given, follow the directions of emergency personnel as quickly as possible.