Shelter in Place will be used when it is safer for employees to remain inside the building than to evacuate. Interior windowless rooms can be used for SIP, and employees should make themselves aware of designated SIP locations within the building.
Examples of SIP incidents include severe weather warnings, active shooter, and HAZMAT incidents.
- Remain calm.
- Immediately cease all work.
- Shut all doors behind you.
- Do not activate the fire alarm.
- Proceed to either the designated SIP room/area or a safe, interior windowless room.
- Accompany and assist persons with special needs* and any co-workers who appear to need direction or assistance.
*These individuals will meet at a designated SIP area. They should be assisted by their designated aide or another co-worker until the all-clear is given.
- In the event of an emergency, sponsoring staff are responsible for ensuring that their visitors remain in the SIP area until the all-clear is given.
- Listen to a radio or television for updates and information on the situation.
- Do not leave the building until authorities give the verbal all-clear signal.
- Follow the instructions of the Building Emergency Team, fire department, police, or other authority.
My Shelter-in-Place location is ________________________________________________________________