Some links will work for NIAID staff only.
To report potential incidents involving the accidental release, occupational exposure, theft, unauthorized access, or loss of pathogens and toxins that require biosafety level (BSL) 3 or higher biocontainment.
Emphasize that reporting to us doesn't cover reporting to other entitites.
- Initial Response to a Reported Incident
- Post-Incident Follow Up
NIAID-funded domestic and foreign research involving highly pathogenic agents must be conducted in BSL-3 or higher biocontainment facilities.
Recipients of NIAID funds must comply with its terms and conditions of award and provide assurances to NIAID that they will comply with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
The NIAID Term of Award for Highly Pathogenic Agents defines such agents as those that may warrant a biocontainment safety level of BSL-3 or higher, according to Biosafety in Microbiological and Medical Laboratories (BMBL).
While NIH does not regulate the use of these agents, the NIH Office of Extramural Research has defined awardee and NIAID responsibilities, including notification of the funding institute of institutional or regulatory body investigations of certain reportable events—see NIH Select Agent Information for details.
Notify the following parties of a potential incident involving the accidental release, occupational exposure, theft, unauthorized access, or loss of pathoIgens and toxins that require BSL-3 or higher biocontainment:
- Appropriate federal regulatory agency and local regulatory officials. Report events promptly
- Your institutional business office
- Your NIAID program office
- Keep in mind that notifying NIAID alone does not fulfill your obligation.
- NIAID treats reports of potential incidents involving breaches of biocontainment or biosecurity confidentially.
If you have knowledge to share or want more information on this topic, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of this page or its URL and your question or comment. Thanks for helping us clarify and expand our knowledge base.
- Select Agent Awards SOP
- Select Agent Terms of Award for NIAID Grants
- Select Agent Language for Solicitations and Contracts
Select Agent Information, NIH Office of Extramural Research