This service provides follow-up studies of products which already have been evaluated in a biochemical or cell-based assay and shown to possess an activity profile that warrants further development of the product as an HIV therapeutic. NIAID does NOT offer the primary screening of previously untested products via this service. Products must be single-component entities of known chemical structure; evaluation of multi-component natural product extracts is not supported.
Assays that can be provided include
- Evaluation against HIV-1, HIV-2, SIV, or SHIV
- Evaluation in established T-cell lines, peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs), or macrophages
- Evaluation against clinical isolates from different HIV subtypes
- Evaluation against drug resistant virus isolates
- Evaluation of products as single agents or in combination with other products
- Evaluation as specific inhibitors of HIV-1 Tat and Rev function
Additional tasks that can be provided under this service include
- Generation of drug-resistant HIV isolates
- Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of drug-resistant HIV isolates
- Mode of action studies
- Adaptation of an investigator’s target-based assay to a high-throughput platform, followed by screening of one or more commercially available chemical libraries in that assay
The current contractor for this service is Southern Research Institute, Frederick, Maryland.