Population-Based Approach to Malaria Research and Control (West Africa)
Principal Investigator: Donald Krogstad, M.D.
Lead Institution: Tulane University, New Orleans
- Seydou O. Doumbia, University of Bamako
- Sekou F. Traore and Mamadou B. Coulibaly, University of Bamako
- Ousmane A. Koita, University of Bamako
- Daouda Ndiaye, Cheikh Anta Diop University
- MRC Laboratories, Fajara and Basse, Gambia
- University of Bamako, Bamako, Mali
- University Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal
- Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts
- Malaria Immunology Section, Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, NIAID
The key initial scientific aim of this Center is to perform prospective studies of the epidemiology and transmission of malaria at field sites in the endemic area. The studies will aim to characterize and understand
- The heterogeneity of malaria infection, disease and transmission
- The effects of control strategies on malaria transmission and pathogenesis
- The major obstacles to improving malaria control and potentially eliminating malaria, including drug and insecticide resistance
Malaria takes an enormous toll across the globe, particularly among children less than 5 years of age in Africa. The ICEMR will evaluate successes and failures in regional efforts to control and eliminate malaria.
Map description: Associated sites for the Mali, Senegal, The Gambia ICEMR – Mali (Bamako, Kenieroba, Dioro), Senegal (Dakar, Thies), The Gambia (Fajara, Basse)
- Keating J, Krogstad DJ, Eisele TP. Malaria elimination on Hispaniola. The Lancet. 10.5 (2010): 291-293.
- Doumbia SO et al. Improving malaria control in West Africa: interruption of transmission as a paradigm shift. Acta Tropica. 2012 Mar;121(3):175-83. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2011.11.009. Epub 2011 Nov 28
- Ceesay SJ et al. Sahel, savana, riverine and urban malaria in West Africa: Similar control policies with different outcomes. Acta Tropica. 2012 Mar;121(3):166-74. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2011.11.005. Epub 2011 Nov 19.
- Volkman SK et al. Application of genomics to field investigations of malaria by the international centers of excellence for malaria research. Acta Tropica. 2012 Mar;121(3):324-32. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2011.12.002. Epub 2011 Dec 13.