NIAID provides individual and institutional research training awards and other types of funding opportunities to support researchers from underrepresented communities and disadvantaged backgrounds. For more information, see the Notice of NIH’s Interest in Diversity.
DEIA Funding Opportunities
Our Training and Career Development Grant Programs and Small Business Programs support the following types of funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) for underrepresented and disadvantaged applicants:
Career Development Awards (K)
NIAID offers a variety of individual research career development (K) awards, which enable scientists with diverse backgrounds to enhance their careers in biomedical research.
- Search current opportunities: K Grant Funding Opportunities
- Review examples:
- PAR-21-271, Maximizing Opportunities for Scientific and Academic Independent Careers (MOSAIC) Postdoctoral Career Transition Award to Promote Diversity
- PAR-21-277, Maximizing Opportunities for Scientific and Academic Independent Careers (MOSAIC) Institutionally-Focused Research Education Award to Promote Diversity
Research Project Grants (R01)
NIAID recognizes the need to diversify the scientific workforce by enhancing the participation of individuals from diverse backgrounds, including those from groups identified as underrepresented in the biomedical, clinical, behavioral and social sciences research workforce.
- Search current opportunities: R01 Grant Funding Opportunities
- Review a current example: PAR-22-141, NIAID Research Opportunities for New and "At-Risk" Investigators to Promote Workforce Diversity (R01, Clinical Trial Optional)
Research Projects (R25 and R38)
R25 and R38 programs both provide support to eligible institutions to train predoctoral and postdoctoral participants in biomedical research areas.
- Search current opportunities: R25 and R38 Grant Funding Opportunities
- Review a past example: PAR-21-258, NIAID Research Education Program Advancing the Careers of a Diverse Research Workforce
Small Business Programs
NIAID’s Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs welcome eligible entrepreneurs, including Women Owned and Socially and Economically Disadvantaged Businesses.
- Search current opportunities: Small Business Grant Funding Opportunities
- Review a past example: PA-21-345, Administrative Supplements To Promote Diversity in Research and Development Small Businesses, SBIR/STTR
Fellowship Grants (F)
NIAID awards National Research Service Award (NRSA) individual fellowship grants to provide research experience to students and scientists at various stages of their careers.
- Search current opportunities: F Grant Funding Opportunities
- Review a past example: PA-21-052, Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research
These supplements add funds to existing grants to increase the participation of scientists from underrepresented groups. Supplements also help promising researchers return to a scientific career.
- Search current opportunities: Supplement Funding Opportunities
- Review a current example: NOT-OD-23-002, Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Administrative Supplements to Recognize Excellence in Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) Mentorship
- Review a past example: PA-21-071, Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research
Other Diversity-Related Opportunities
NIAID sometimes funds diversity, inclusion, or health disparity research through R01 or other award types.
- Search our NIAID Funding Opportunities list using relevant keywords, e.g., Disparities or Gender.
- Review a past example: NOT-MD-22-006, Notice of Special Interest (NOSI)—Research to Address Vaccine Hesitancy, Uptake, and Implementation among Populations that Experience Health Disparities
Consider All NIAID Funding Opportunities
You are not limited to the diversity-focused options in the section above. We strongly encourage researchers from underrepresented groups to seek funding through any NIAID or NIH opportunity. Find complete lists here:
NIAID Funding Links and Contacts
NIAID Training and Career Development Grant Programs
NIAID Small Business Programs
For other types of research funding, reach out to the NIAID program officer for your area of science. You can get application advice, NIAID's perspective on your research, and confirmation that NIAID will accept your application. Learn more at When to Contact a NIAID Program Officer.