NIAID is committed to conducting the research necessary to confront HIV/AIDS. Volunteer participation in a clinical research study helps NIAID better understand HIV, find promising new tools to prevent HIV infection including a vaccine, and develop new and more effective treatment strategies.
The following are select studies sponsored by NIAID. The links lead to study descriptions, eligibility criteria, and contact information:
- 2-5 Intermittent Caloric Restriction for Weight Loss and Insulin Resistance in HIV-Infected Adults With Features of the Metabolic Syndrome (NCT03489190)
The objective of this study is to see if intermittent calorie restriction leads to weight loss and improved blood sugar in obese people with HIV.
- Apheresis Procedures to Obtain Plasma or Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells (PBMCs) for Research Studies (NCT00067054)
This study collects specimens from volunteers for use in studies by NIAID’s Vaccine Research Center.
- A Single Dose of Pembrolizumab in HIV-Infected People (NCT03367754)
The objective of this study is to see if pembrolizumab is safe to use in people with HIV who have a low CD4+ T-cell count despite taking medicines that control HIV replication, and to see if it strengthens the immune system.
- Clinical Outcomes in Persons With HIV Acquired Early in Life (NCT01656564)
This clinical trial studies the effect of HIV infection and treatment on people who acquired HIV infection in early life (before age 10).
- Combination Therapy With 3BNC117 and 10-1074 in HIV-Infected Individuals (NCT03571204)
The objective of this study is to see if the antibodies 3BNC117 and 10-1074 are safe and can control HIV levels in the blood of people who are not taking ART or people who stop taking their ART during the study.
- Evaluating the Use of Pitavastatin to Reduce the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease in HIV-Infected Adults (REPRIEVE) (NCT02344290)
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the use of pitavastatin to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease in adults infected with HIV who are on ART.
- Herpesviruses Reactivation in HIV-Infected Women Initiating ART (HERA) (NCT03092505)
This clinical trial studies the effects of HIV treatment in women who may have herpes virus infections.
- HIV Vaccine Prevention Safety and Efficacy Study in South Africa (HVTN702) (NCT02968849)
This study evaluates the preventive vaccine efficacy, safety, and tolerability of the ALVAC-HIV vaccine + Bivalent Subtype C gp120/MF59 in HIV-seronegative South African adults.
- Impact of a Short-Term Analytical Treatment Interruption and Re-Initiation of Antiretroviral Therapy on Immunologic and Virologic Parameters in HIV-Infected Individuals (NCT03225118)
This clinical trial studies the impact of a short-term treatment stop on HIV the persists even while taking combination antiretroviral therapy.
- Leukapheresis Procedures to Obtain Plasma and Lymphocytes for Research Studies on Primary and Chronic HIV-Infected Patients (NCT00039689)
This longitudinal study will enable researchers to examine the function of certain B cells, natural killer cells, and CD8+ T cells in people who do not have chronic HIV disease and in those who do have the disease and are treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy.
- Leukapheresis Procedures to Study Long-term Non-progressors (NCT00029445)
This study will collect while blood cells and plasma for research on how the immune system controls HIV infection.
- Liver Fibrosis in HIV-Infected Patients With Elevated Liver Enzymes on Antiretrovial Therapy (NCT00326482)
This study will provide a basis for research on the impact of liver injury caused by antiretroviral therapy in people living with HIV.
- PET Imaging and Lymph Node Assessment of IRIS in People With AIDS (NCT02147405)
The objective of this study is to learn the causes and effects of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) and how best to manage it.
- Safety and Efficacy Study of Injectable Cabotegravir Compared to Daily Oral Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate/Emtricitabine, for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis in HIV-Uninfected Cisgender Men and Transgender Women Who Have Sex With Men (HPTN083) NCT02720094)
This study will evaluate the safety and efficacy of the injectable drug cabotegravir for pre-exposure prohylaxis in HIV-uninfected cisgender men and transgender women who have sex with men.
- Study of People With HIV Infection Who Have High Viral Loads Despite Combination Antiretroviral Therapy (NCT01976715)
The objective of this study is to better control HIV in people who can get a lower viral load even with ART drugs and to learn more about why the HIV is not under control.
- Vedolizumab in People With H IV Infection Undergoing Analytical Treatment Interruption (NCT02788175)
The objective of this study is to test if vedolizumab is safe and can control the amount of HIV in the blood when combination antiretroviral therapy is not taken.
NIAID supports five clinical trial networks that conduct domestic and international human studies focused on HIV/AIDS:
- AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG)
- The HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN)
- HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN)
- International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT)
- Microbicide Trials Network (MTN)
See a complete list of recruiting NIAID-supported HIV/AIDS clinical research studies.