Funding News Edition: August 03, 2022 See more articles in this edition
Be aware that iEdison, the electronic system that recipients use to report inventions and patents resulting from federal research, will transition from NIH’s eRA to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on August 9, 2022. Existing iEdison users will need to take certain steps to prepare for the transition, which we cover below.
Read iEdison Rebuild on NIST.gov to learn more about the development process and timeline for the new iEdison platform, including questions and answers from iEdison’s June 22, 2020 feedback session. The new system interface will be a modern, user-friendly platform that aligns with all regulatory requirements and will include many new features:
- Ability to initiate discussions with the agency staff within an invention record using two-way communication
- Integration with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database to ensure accuracy and reduce recipient reporting burden
- Optional real-time email notifications to both recipient and agency users for notifications regarding certain required reporting and review actions
- Enhanced security through two-factor authentication through Login.gov
Actions Users Should Take To Prepare
Although existing and active iEdison accounts will automatically transfer to the new iEdison system, here are three steps that users can take to ensure a smooth transition:
- Subscribe to NIST for the latest email updates on the iEdison redesign, including training opportunities.
- Access to the new iEdison system will require a Login.gov account. Create one at Login.gov using the email you have for your existing account (this ensures the linkage between a user’s existing and new account). Again, the requirement will provide an extra layer of security through two-factor authentication.
- Account administrators should review their organization’s affiliated user accounts and delete any that are no longer needed so they are not transferred to the new system extraneously.
Resources and Contact Information
For more information, read the NIH Guide notice NOT-OD-22-100 and the March 30, 2022 Extramural Nexus article iEdison, the Invention Reporting System, Transitioning to NIST This Summer.
For technical questions, submit a web ticket through the eRA Service Desk or call 301-402-7469. For questions related to invention reporting requirements from the Bayh-Dole Act, contact email@example.com.