Funding News Edition: December 22, 2022 See more articles in this edition
NIAID aims to support studies on the roles of complement components and receptors in the initiation, magnitude, maintenance, and quality of immune responses involved in pathogenic infections, vaccination, post-infection sequelae, autoimmunity, allergy, or transplantation. Through Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Complement in Fundamental Immunology, you can apply for funding to elucidate the mechanisms by which complement components, receptors, and pathways contribute to protective immune responses or pathogenesis.
A better understanding of complement’s role in fundamental immunology is critical for harnessing its positive effects and avoiding deleterious effects caused by dysregulation.
NIAID is most interested in studies of the roles of complement components (molecules or receptors) during immune responses. This could include topics like:
- The role of complement during adaptive or innate immune cell activation, differentiation, function, homeostasis, and memory
- Mechanisms regulating the crosstalk of complement with other innate receptor systems
- The role of complement components in immune pathogenesis
- Interactions between vaccines/therapeutics and complement components
- Developing in vivo animal models or cell/tissue-specific in vitro systems for studying the roles of complement in regulating immune responses
The outcomes of such studies should inform future development of vaccines or therapeutics that target complement components.
You can apply using either of the following parent funding opportunity announcements (FOAs):
- NIH Research Project Grant (Parent R01, Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (Parent R21, Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
The earliest application date for the NOSI is February 5, 2023, although the NOSI defers to the FOAs for specific due dates. It also defers to the FOAs for budget and project period limitations.
For NIAID to recognize your application as responding to this NOSI, you must include “NOT-AI-23-012” in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF 424 R&R application form.
If you have any questions about the initiative, contact NIAID’s Dr. Ari Joffe at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-669-5084.