Do foreign organizations have additional registration steps for electronic applications?

Yes, foreign organizations must obtain a NATO Commercial and Government Entity (NCAGE) code. 

All organizations need to get a Data Universal Number System (DUNS) and complete System for Award Management (SAM) registration before filing a one-time registration for and the NIH eRA Commons. The authorized organizational representative should complete these registrations. Foreign organizations are not required to register for an Employer Identification Number. 

All registration information and addresses must be identical for NCAGE,, SAM, the NIH eRA Commons, and the Payment Management System. 

For detailed instructions, read the “Application Requirements” section of Information for Foreign Grants.

Content last reviewed on February 7, 2018

Browse all Articles