Funding News Edition: August 04, 2021 See more articles in this edition
If you’re a health professional who could use some help easing your educational debt, consider NIH’s Loan Repayment Programs (LRPs).
To be eligible, you must be a doctoral-level clinician or researcher who’s committed to conducting NIH-qualified research. If NIH approves your application, you receive up to $50,000 each year toward your qualified educational debt, as detailed at Eligibility & Programs.
NIAID now supports four LRPs:
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Clinical Researchers (LRP-CR)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Pediatric Research (LRP-PR)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Health Disparities Research (LRP-HDR)
- Extramural Loan Repayment Program for Research in Emerging Areas Critical to Human Health (LRP-REACH)
LRP-REACH is new, so here’s a quick summary:
- It supports applicants who pursue major opportunities or gaps in emerging high-priority research that falls within NIAID Mission areas and do not meet eligibility criteria for the LRP-CR, LRP-PR, or LRP-HDR.
- You can apply even if you aren't a current NIH grantee.
- Recipients must have an advanced degree from an accredited institution.
- Learn more at NIH's Research in Emerging Areas Critical to Human Health and the July 1, 2021 Guide notice.
LRP Resources and Links
For more on the LRPs, check these NIH resources:
- NIH Repays Your Student Loans (PDF) summarizes the Program.
- Application Process Interactive Roadmap covers key decision points and guidance at each juncture.
- Tips for Writing a Competitive LRP Application provides helpful pointers as well as common reasons why LRP applications aren’t funded.
- LRP Ambassador Program helps you connect to a network of former and current awardees who can share their experiences with you and advise you on preparing a strong application. We encourage you to consider becoming an ambassador, too.
Also, take note that NIH recently announced an Updated Policy for Family Leave and Unpaid Leave for Extramural Loan Repayment Program Recipients.
Application and Contact Information
You must have an eRA Commons ID to submit your LRP application. Submit your application electronically through the NIH LRP website. This year’s application window begins on September 1, 2021, and ends November 18, 2021.
Find more application instructions and details at NIAID Loan Repayment Programs.