Funding News Edition: March 16, 2022 See more articles in this edition
NIH's Center for Scientific Review (CSR) seeks feedback from stakeholders and the public on the Center for Scientific Review 2022–2027 (Draft) Strategic Plan to advance its mission of ensuring that NIH grant applications receive fair, independent, expert, and timely scientific reviews—free from inappropriate influences—so NIH can fund the most promising research.
Provide Feedback on Scientific Review Goals
The five goals of the CSR Strategic Plan, listed below, include specific objectives to improve fairness and diversity, maintain open lines of communication, and use cutting-edge data science and informatics.
Goal 1: Maintain scientific review groups that provide appropriate scientific coverage and review settings for all of NIH science.
- Objective 1.1: Ensure that scientific review groups evolve to stay appropriately aligned with current and emerging areas of science
- Objective 1.2: Maintain accurate scientific review group guidelines and ensure review group rosters contain expertise appropriate to the review group scope
Goal 2: Further develop a large cadre of diverse, well-trained, and scientifically qualified experts to serve as reviewers.
- Objective 2.1: Broaden the pool of reviewers and ensure that review panels are diverse on multiple dimensions
- Objective 2.2: Ensure reviewers are well-trained
- Objective 2.3: Evaluate reviewer performance
Goal 3: Further develop an outstanding, engaged, and diverse staff.
- Objective 3.1: Ensure CSR has a diverse and effective workforce through a targeted recruitment, hiring, and retention approach
- Objective 3.2: Ensure CSR staff members have access to role-relevant training and ongoing career development opportunities
- Objective 3.3: Create and maintain a safe and inclusive culture that values diversity, individual and team contributions, and collective well-being
Goal 4: Implement changes to the peer review process to make it more fair, effective, and efficient.
- Objective 4.1: Provide scientific review officers and reviewers with essential knowledge and tools to reduce potential bias in peer review
- Objective 4.2: Take additional steps to protect the integrity of peer review
- Objective 4.3: Evaluate review criteria and formats to improve the openness, fairness, and effectiveness of peer review
- Objective 4.4: Improve assignment and referral of applications
- Objective 4.5: Leverage data and technology to better support the peer review process
- Objective 4.6: Evaluate peer review quality and reliability through process and outcome assessments
Goal 5: Achieve our mission through transparency, engagement with the scientific community, and a data-driven approach to decision-making.
- Objective 5.1: Develop outreach approaches and dissemination plans to effectively communicate and receive feedback on CSR’s initiatives and activities
- Objective 5.2: Collaborate and develop partnerships with other NIH institutes and centers
For more information, read Seeking Public Comment on CSR’s 2022–2027 Strategic Plan.