Funding News Edition: November 02, 2022 See more articles in this edition
Last month, NIAID shared interim paylines, a financial management plan, and more for fiscal year (FY) 2023 at Paylines & Funding.
Paylines are the funding cutoff points for investigator-initiated grant applications. We previously announced the interim payline for R01 research project grants, which uses percentiles rather than overall impact scores, is set at the 10th percentile for established investigators and 14th percentile for new investigators.
To start FY 2023, NIAID set additional interim paylines in late October 2022:
|R03||26 overall impact score||Interim||Small Grants|
|R15||20 overall impact score||Interim||Research Enhancement Awards|
|R21||26 overall impact score||Interim||Exploratory/Developmental Grants|
|R41, R42||23 overall impact score||Interim||STTR Phase I and II—Small Business Technology Transfer|
|R43, R44||23 overall impact score||Interim||SBIR Phase I and II—Small Business Innovation Research|
|F30||20 overall impact score||Interim||NRSA Individual Predoctoral M.D./Ph.D. or Other Dual-Doctoral Degree Fellowships|
|F31 (except F31-Diversity)||19 overall impact score||Interim||NRSA Individual Predoctoral Fellowships|
|F32||22 overall impact score||Interim||NRSA Individual Postdoctoral Fellowships|
|K (except K22 and K99)||18 overall impact score||Interim||Career Development Awards|
|T32, T35||12 overall impact score||Interim||Institutional and Short-Term NRSA Training Awards|
We update the NIAID Paylines page whenever we set or adjust paylines, so check there for the latest levels. To subscribe for NIAID Email Updates, open the Research Funding category and choose Paylines.
Continuing resolution (CR). NIH has not yet received its FY 2023 budget appropriation. We are currently operating under a CR, Public Law 117-180, through December 16, 2022. The CR gives federal agencies budget authority to continue operating at the FY 2022 level with no reduction until regular appropriations are enacted.
Financial management. NIAID posted its complete Financial Management Plan for grants on October 19, 2022. A few highlights from the page:
- NIAID plans no percentage reduction for new or noncompeting awards.
- Renewal budgets for R01s are capped at 20 percent over the direct costs of the last noncompeting award.
- Salaries are limited to the levels published on Salary Cap, Stipends, & Training Funds.
- No inflationary increases are provided in calculating future years' commitments.
- NIAID is setting aside the following:
- $9 million ($3 million for each extramural program division) for selective pay.
- $18 million ($6 million for each extramural program division) for R56-Bridge awards.
- NIH’s most recent announcement about legislative mandates is the May 9, 2022 Guide notice.
Learn more about the typical annual pattern of financial updates here: