Funding News Edition: June 15, 2022 See more articles in this edition
Apply for an R01 or R21 grant to study how to disseminate and implement lessons learned from biomedical discovery and promote adoption of effective health interventions. NIAID supports two reissued funding opportunity announcements (FOAs):
- Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health (R01, Clinical Trial Optional)
- Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health (R21, Clinical Trial Optional)
Scope of Both FOAs
Scientific publications are limited in their ability to promote widespread uptake of evidence-based interventions—i.e., best practices, programs, tools, treatments, guidelines, and policies.
To help bridge the gap, these FOAs support research to identify, develop, and/or test strategies to overcome barriers to dissemination and implementation (D&I) of evidence-based interventions into public health, clinical practice, and community settings. In addition, or instead, you may study circumstances that create a need to stop or reduce (de-implement) health practices that are ineffective, unproven, low-value, or harmful.
The FOAs encourage studies that:
- Promote equitable D&I among underrepresented communities.
- Advance D&I research methods and measures.
- Focus on reimplementation of evidence-based health services (e.g., cancer screening) that may have dropped off during the ongoing COVID pandemic.
Your research must fall within the mission area of at least one participating NIH institute or center (IC) and fit the IC-specific requirements listed in Section I of your chosen FOA. The NIAID guidance covers policy and program partnerships, community input, limits on the type of clinical trial you may propose, our requirements for Investigator-Initiated Clinical Trials, and more.
Application Specifics and Contacts
You have three annual deadlines for each application type (new, renewal, or AIDS) through May 8, 2025. The specific due dates differ by FOA, so follow the table of Key Dates listed in your chosen FOA. We encourage you to send a Letter of Intent at least 30 days before your targeted deadline.
Plan your application with the following limits in mind:
- R01 FOA. Your budget is not limited but should reflect the actual needs of the proposed project. The maximum project period is five years.
- R21 FOA. Your total direct costs for the two-year project period may not exceed $275,000. Request no more than $200,000 in a single year. The maximum project period is two years.
Before you apply, we strongly encourage you to discuss your planned research topic and any IC-specific requirements with the relevant IC’s scientific/program official. Find contact information in Section VII of your chosen FOA. For applications to NIAID, reach out to Melanie Bacon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-627-3215.