Funding News Edition: August 17, 2022 See more articles in this edition
NIAID and other NIH institutes and centers (ICs) recently reissued the Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Research on the Health of Sexual and Gender Minority (SGM) Populations funding opportunity.
As defined in the NOSI, SGM populations include people who:
- Identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, asexual, transgender, Two-Spirit, queer, and/or intersex.
- Have same-sex or -gender attractions or behaviors.
- Have differences in sex development.
- Do not self-identify with the terms above but their sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or reproductive development is characterized by non-binary constructs of sexual orientation, gender, or sex.
In your application, propose research that describes the biological, clinical, behavioral, and/or social processes that affect the health and development of SGM populations, individuals, and their families. Your research should lead to the development of acceptable and appropriate health interventions and health service delivery methods that will enhance health and development of these populations.
Check the NOSI for full details and IC-specific information. NIAID areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Research on all areas of HIV infection. This includes developing and testing preventive HIV vaccines, other prevention strategies, and new treatments for HIV infection and AIDS-associated opportunistic infections.
- Basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and ultimately prevent other infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases.
The NOSI is active through August 1, 2025. Apply through one of the funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) listed in the Application and Submission Information table. Different ICs support each FOA—be sure to check the rightmost column of the table to confirm whether your preferred IC participates. As shown on the table in the Notice of Correction, NIAID participates in FOAs with due dates starting October 5, 2022.
For funding consideration under this NOSI, you must include “NOT-MD-22-012” (without quotation marks) in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF 424 R&R application package.
Direct your questions to the scientific/research, peer review, or financial/grants management contacts in Section VII of your chosen FOA.
To find other NIAID-supported funding opportunities related to sex, gender, and SGM, Search for “Gender” on the NIAID Opportunities List and use the form above the table to search for other keywords.