“If I relocate to another country, can I take my NIH funding with me?”

Funding News Edition: February 03, 2021
See more articles in this edition

Possibly, though the approval process is complex. First, contact your institution, which must be willing to relinquish your grant to a new institution. This move can be complicated, and NIAID is not involved with that decision or any negotiations related to it.

If your institution approves the move, submit a prior approval request to your grants management specialist. A request to change your institution to another foreign country requires approval by NIAID's Advisory Council. Follow the instructions here:

Contact Us

Email us at deaweb@niaid.nih.gov for help navigating NIAID’s grant and contract policies and procedures.

Content last reviewed on