Funding News Edition: May 18, 2022 See more articles in this edition
NIAID will accept administrative supplement applications from current NIAID awardees for research on Lyme disease or other tickborne illnesses, including alpha-gal syndrome, through the Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Administrative Supplements for Lyme Disease and Other Tickborne Illnesses.
These administrative supplements will support active NIAID awards to advance discoveries made as part of the ongoing research. Supplement requests should address the following:
- Novel discoveries made during the current funding period that require additional preliminary data before a competitive grant application can be prepared to propose fully investigating those discoveries
- Early studies to initiate translation of basic science discoveries into vaccines, diagnostics, or therapeutics
Eligibility for Supplements
Applicants should keep the following eligibility requirements in mind:
- Only existing NIAID-funded awardees are eligible to apply.
- The parent grant must address a tickborne infectious disease or alpha-gal syndrome.
- The supplement’s proposed project period cannot extend beyond the project period of the parent award.
- The parent grant may not be in its first or last 12 months of award at the time you submit your supplement request.
- Parent grants that would be in a no-cost extension by the time a supplement could be made are ineligible.
- You may not use supplemental funding to add vertebrate animals or human subjects research that is not already in scope of the parent grant.
- Supplements requesting new foreign components are not allowed.
Budget and Project Period
Application budgets are limited to $150,000 in direct costs or the amount of the current award, whichever is less, and must reflect the actual needs of the proposed project.
For parent awards with large, unobligated balances, applicants must explain why the balance cannot be used in lieu of an administrative supplement.
To apply, use the following opportunity or its subsequent reissued equivalent to submit applications for this initiative:
- PA-20-272–Administrative Supplements to Existing NIH Grants and Cooperative Agreements (Parent Admin Supp, Clinical Trial Optional)
Follow all instructions in the SF 424 (R&R) Application Guide and PA-20-272 and include “NOT-AI-22-048” (without quotation marks) in the Agency Routing Identifier field (box 4B) of the SF 424 R&R form.
To facilitate efficient processing, applicants should notify the program officer listed on the current Notice of Award of the parent grant that they have submitted a request in response to this NOSI.
Act fast! Applications are due by 5 p.m. local time of the applicant organization on May 23, 2022.
Direct any inquiries to NIAID’s scientific/research contacts for this initiative—Dr. Sam Perdue at 240-627-3341 or email@example.com, or Dr. Michael Minnicozzi at 240-627-3532 or firstname.lastname@example.org.