The BEI Resources Repository is a central repository that supplies organisms and reagents to the broad community of microbiology and infectious diseases researchers. Materials are available through an online catalog.
There is no charge for research materials, but domestic investigators will be required to pay for shipping costs.
Information for Researchers Requesting SARS-CoV-2 from BEI Resources
BEI Resources is prioritizing and fast-tracking all SARS-CoV-2 registrations. Typically, there is a 2-3 week timeframe for BEI registrations. However, for SARS-CoV-2 requests, BEI anticipates a 24-72 hour registration turn-around time. Any researchers who need assistance with their registrations can contact BEI directly at (800) 359-7370 or email@example.com.
Note: BEI recently released the genomic RNA from the first available strain of SARS-CoV-2. This genomic RNA is available for distribution for researchers as a BSL-2 item.
Researchers are encouraged to check the BEI website often as BEI will be listing information on SARS-CoV-2 reagents as soon as the material becomes available. For more information, please visit BEI’s SARS-CoV-2 information page.
More information about this resource is available at BEI Resources Repository
Main Areas of Focus
- To authenticate and produce reagents that scientists need to carry out basic research and develop improved diagnostic tests, vaccines, and therapies
- Online catalog of available organisms and reagents: As part of its catalog, BEI also is now providing organisms and reagents previously provided through the Filariasis Research Reagent Resource Center, Malaria Research and Reference Reagent Resource Center (MR4), Network on Antimicrobial Resistance in Staphylococcus aureus, and the Schistosomiasis Resource Center
- Protocols and manuals specific to some services, such as MR4
- Researchers can deposit material in the repository
Who Can Use This Resource
- Users, domestic or foreign, must be a principal investigator, laboratory director, or equivalent in a public or academic institution, or a director of research or equivalent in a private or for-profit institution
- Users must work in an established institution with appropriate facilities and safety programs for the appropriate level of registration requested
- Users need not be a grantee of NIAID or another National Institutes of Health Institute or Center
- There is no charge for the materials (shipping and handling fees may apply)
How To Get Started
- Register to place an order
- Place your order through the online catalog
All requests by registered users within specified quantity limits are automatically approved by NIAID. Larger amounts may be provided with justification and NIAID approval.
Assurance to Requestors
- All information provided to the Contractor will be treated as confidential
- Users will be required to sign a Materials Transfer Agreement, an agreement that governs the exchange of research materials and tools
- Forms are provided for deposits of materials in order to protect the Intellectual Property of the depositor by establishing ownership of the materials and distribution rights