The National Biocontainment Laboratories (NBLs) and Regional Biocontainment Laboratories (RBLs) provide BSL4/3/2 and BSL3/2 biocontainment facilities, respectively, for research on biodefense and emerging infectious disease agents.
The biocontainment facilities also will be available and prepared to assist national, state, and local public health efforts in the event of a bioterrorism or infectious disease emergency.
Services are provided at the National Biocontainment Laboratories (NBL) and Regional Biocontainment Laboratories (RBL) sites.
Investigators in academia, not-for-profit organizations, industry, and government studying biodefense and emerging infectious diseases may request the use of biocontainment laboratories. Please contact the NBLs and RBLs directly for further information.
Each NBL and RBL offers distinct resources for the research community. These include animal models, imaging services, and specialized equipment. Please select the laboratory below to see the services available at each site.
- National Biocontainment Laboratories
- Regional Biocontainment Laboratories
- Colorado State University (Fort Collins), Judson M. Harper Research Complex, Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
- Duke University Medical Center (Durham, North Carolina), Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
- George Mason University (Manassas, Virginia) Biomedical Research Laboratory (BRL)
- Rutgers University Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
- Tulane National Primate Research Center (Covington, Louisiana), Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
- Tufts University, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine (Grafton, Massachusetts), New England Regional Biocontainment Laboratory (NE-RBL)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Southeast Biocontainment Laboratory Alabama (SEBLAB)
- University of Chicago, The Howard T. Ricketts Laboratory (HTRL)
- University of Louisville, Center for Predictive Medicine, Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
- University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine, Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
- University of Pittsburgh, Center for Vaccine Research (CVR), The Regional Biocontainment Laboratory at the BioScience Tower III (BST3)
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center (Memphis), Regional Biocontainment Laboratory