DAIDS offers a number of funding opportunities, including grants and contracts, to conduct translational research and development for clinical evaluation. NIAID works with funded contractors to offer services to investigator’s to manage and accelerate the product development, process development and cGMP manufacturing, and product lifecycle management to advance it into clinical trials.
Current funding opportunities include
- Integrated Preclinical/Clinical AIDS Vaccine Development Program (IPCAVD) (U19)
- Grant mechanism that incentivizes partnerships between academia and pharma; provides support for an investigator-initiated, iterative, multi-disciplinary “translational” program that is systematic and integrated.
- All stages of vaccine platform research and development through facilitation of nonhuman primate proof-of concept studies and down-selection of the final lead candidate.
- All product development stages including processes development, CGMP manufacturing, and formulation.
- All IND-enabling studies and regulatory submissions.
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)/ Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Contracts
- Supports funding opportunities in the vaccine innovation research and development (R&D) arena.
- Focus on innovation and emerging processes (cell line development platforms, upstream and downstream manufacturing platforms/processes/unit operations), novel technologies (nanoparticle delivery, formulation development and different dosage forms), adjuvant delivery etc.
Examples of previous funding opportunities include
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)
- Staged Vaccine Development (SVD)
- Contract exclusively supports manufacture of candidate vaccines for advanced development; focused on established partnerships.