The Functional Genomics Program for understanding the functions of uncharacterized genes in infectious disease pathogens aims to generate experimental data to determine the biochemical function(s) of hypothetical genes, unknown open reading frames, and noncoding RNAs.
The program applies state-of-the-art technologies to determine the biochemical and physiological roles of these gene components. Obtaining a more comprehensive understanding of uncharacterized genes in infectious disease pathogens will lead to improved genomic annotation and allow for the development of potential new targets for medical diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines.
Main Areas of Focus
- To obtain a more comprehensive understanding of uncharacterized genes in infectious disease pathogens
- To lead to improved genomic annotation and allow for the development of potential new targets for medical diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines
- To distribute data, software, and reagents generated from research projects to the broader scientific community
Functional Genomics Steering Committee
The Functional Genomics Steering Committee is designed to review the progress in meeting the program’s goals and will make recommendations for the continuation or re-direction of all projects and activities on an ongoing basis and in consultation with the NIAID staff. The Steering Committee consists of investigators who are not current collaborators of the funded centers.
- Josh Adkins – Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- James Bliska – Stony Brook University
- Victor DiRita (Chair) – Michigan State University
- Jennifer Gardy – BC Centre for Disease Control
- Michael Laub – Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Kathleen McDonough – Wadsworth Center NYSDOH
- Jim Musser – The Methodist Hospital
- David Pompliano – Third Rock Ventures
- Roz Sandri-Goldin – University of California Irvine
- Tom Slezak – Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Sri Sreevatsan – University of Minnesota
- Renee Tsolis – University of California Davis
- Dave Wentworth (Vice-Chair) – CDC
Award Project Descriptions
The research activities are carried out by the following institutions. Select the name of the instituion for a project description from NIH RePORTER.