Inner-City Asthma Consortium (ICAC) focuses on understanding how the environment, allergens, and genetics interact with the body’s immune system to cause asthma and aggravate its symptoms.
Main Areas of Focus
- To understand the underlying mechanisms of candidate therapies
- To develop and validate biomarkers to measure disease stage, progression, and therapeutic effect of candidate treatments
- To assess how possible genetic and epigenetic (changes in gene expression or observable trait that are not caused by changes in DNA sequence) factors influence disease development, progression, and severity
- To define the development and unique mechanisms associated with asthma onset and severity in inner-city children
- To identify environmental factors associated with inner-city asthma