Some links will work for NIAID staff only.
To enable applicants to request continued support for grants whose current project periods are coming to an end.
Each fiscal year, NIAID determines its payline and estimates the number of new and renewal awards the Institute can pay based on its budget and anticipated grant costs.
R01s. The Institute decides each fiscal year whether to cap direct cost increases for renewal R01 applications. For now, we expect the cap to remain at 20 percent. The renewal cap is part of the NIAID Financial Management Plan. To learn how we compute it, go to Plan Your Budget and Personnel in Apply for a Grant.
Program projects and cooperative agreements. NIAID accepts few investigator-initiated renewals of program project applications and cooperative agreements, which need our preapproval. We generally budget for five to ten program project grants each fiscal year.
- Request a budget that will fund the science.
- If you need additional funds for other purposes, your program officer must get approval from our advisory Council. Discuss this with him or her.
- If your project has significant changes of scope and Specific Aims, apply for a new grant.
- To learn more about the topics above, see the following:
- Each Council, review applications requesting an increase greater than the cap. Determine if the issues qualify for an exception, such as costs for meeting human subjects requirements.
- Write a justification and get your division's approval.
- If your division approves, it places your request on a special actions list for Council review.
- Be prepared to discuss your requests at Council.
Grants Management Specialists
- If Council approves funding for a special action, the budget office will issue a second Release List.
- If the second Release List is issued within three months, release the full amount.
- If the second Release List is issued after three months, prorate the award based on Grants Management Program policy.
Applicants with questions should read Contacting Program Officers and Grants Management Specialists.
If you have knowledge to share or want more information on this topic, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of this page or its URL and your question or comment. Thanks for helping us clarify and expand our knowledge base.