Some links will work for NIAID staff only.
To address allegations of fraud, waste, and abuse, including misuse of NIH grant and contract funds and improper conduct of an NIH employee.
Anybody may report allegations of fraud, waste, and abuse to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG). The OIG will assess the allegation and, if necessary, refer it to the NIH Office of Management Assessment (OMA) for investigation and resolution.
NIAID staff do not assess, respond to, or investigate these allegations. If OIG or OMA need to follow up, they will contact the appropriate NIAID staff.
Any person reporting an allegation may choose to remain anonymous to the extent permitted by law. OIG, OMA, and others in the chain of command at NIH are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the allegation’s source to the greatest extent permissible and practicable.
- Report to OIG any evidence of fraud, waste, abuse, misuse of NIH grant and contract funds, or improper conduct by an NIH employee. Use one of the following methods:
- Be prepared to provide a summary of the allegation and supporting documents
- To report fraud, waste, abuse, misuse of NIH grant and contract funds, or improper conduct by an NIH employee, follow the instructions above.
- Whenever anybody reports an allegation to you
- Refer them to OIG
- Continue your normal course of business
- Do not take any of the following actions:
- Attempt to investigate the allegation. This falls within the exclusive purview of OIG.
- Divulge any information about your conversation or any investigation, not even to your supervisor.
- Express any opinions.
- Request supporting documentation.
- Provide advice or guidance, other than the referral to OIG.
- If anybody other than OIG inquires about an allegation, regardless of the status of any investigation, refer them to the NIAID Office of Communications and Government Relations as follows:
Please direct all questions to the HHS Office of Inspector General.
If you have knowledge to share or want more information on this topic, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of this page or its URL and your question or comment. Thanks for helping us clarify and expand our knowledge base.