Some links will work for NIAID staff only.
To address allegations of fraud, waste, and abuse of NIH funds.
Anyone with an allegation of fraud, waste, or abuse of NIH funds may report it to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG) using the contact information below.
When you report fraud, waste, or abuse to OIG, you may choose to remain anonymous to the extent permitted by law. OIG, OMA, and other designated staff at the NIH are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the allegation’s source to the greatest extent permissible and practicable.
The OIG will assess the allegation and, if necessary, refer it to the NIH Office of Management Assessment (OMA) for investigation and resolution.
NIAID staff do not assess, respond to, or investigate these allegations. OIG or OMA will follow up with the appropriate NIAID staff if necessary.
To report research misconduct, follow the Allegations of Research Misconduct SOP instead of the process described here.
- Report your allegation of fraud, waste, or abuse of NIH funds to OIG. Use one of the following methods and refer to Other Ways to Contact Hotline for more information.
- Contact 1-800-HHS-TIPS (1-800-447-8477)
- Complete a Report Fraud Form
- Send a letter to
- Office of Inspector General
Department of Health and Human Services
ATTN: OIG HOTLINE OPERATIONS
P.O. Box 23489
Washington, D.C. 20026
- Office of Inspector General
- Be prepared to provide a summary of the allegation and any supporting documents.
- If you notice potential fraud, waste, or abuse of NIH funds, follow the instructions above to report your allegation to OIG.
- If someone reports an allegation to you:
- Instruct them to contact the OIG directly.
- Continue your normal course of business.
- Do not take any of the following actions:
- Attempt to investigate the allegation. This falls within the exclusive purview of OIG.
- Divulge any information about your conversation or any investigation, not even to your supervisor.
- Express any opinions.
- Request supporting documentation.
- Provide advice or guidance other than instructing them to contact OIG.
- If anyone other than OIG inquires about an allegation, regardless of the status of any investigation, refer them to the NIAID Office of Communications and Government Relations as follows:
- For media inquiries, follow the NIAID staff instructions at Responding to Media Inquiries.
- For Congressional inquiries, follow the NIAID staff instructions at Responding to Congressional Calls.
- For any other outside source, e.g., general inquiries from the public, follow the NIAID staff instructions at Public Inquiries.
Please direct allegations and questions to the HHS Office of Inspector General.
Use the contacts listed above for questions about your specific situation. If you have a general question or a suggestion to improve this page, email the Office of Knowledge and Educational Resources at email@example.com.