Some links will work for NIAID staff only.
To request NIAID help with publicizing research advances made under an Institute-funded grant.
Investigators work with NIAID to publicize their newsworthy research findings.
Office of Communications and Government Relations (OCGR) coordinates with the press office at an investigator's institution to prepare and disseminate publicity materials.
- As soon as you submit a significant finding to a journal, notify your program officer and your institution's press office.
- Ask your program officer to keep you informed about whether or not NIAID decides to publicize your findings.
- If your institution's press office decides to issue a separate news release, ask your press officer to let us know by contacting OCGR directly at 301-402-1663 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Even if NIAID does not create publicity materials, it can add the release to its News from NIAID-Supported Institutions.
- If investigators contact you requesting that NIAID publicize their research on their behalf, discuss it with your division's OCGR liaison who will work with OCGR to prepare the appropriate publicity.
- Keep investigators informed about OCGR decisions.
- If universities or other organizations ask you to review or approve one of their news releases, follow the procedure in the OCGR SOP Handling Requests to Review Non-NIAID News Releases.
Office of Communications and Government Relations Staff
- If you decide to publicize an investigator's published research, work with the investigator to determine key points about the research advance.
- Coordinate with other NIAID offices, NIH components, and the press office at the investigator's institution to gather more information.
- Decide what is the best way for NIAID to publicize the investigator's discovery.
- Inform the investigator and institution's press office of the projected distribution date of publicity materials.
- Distribute the materials to the appropriate media and constituent lists.
- Post materials on appropriate pages of the NIAID website.
Divisions OCGR Liaisons
DAIDS—Staff Only Contact
DAIT—Staff Only Contact
DMID—Staff Only Contact
Use the contacts listed above for questions about your specific situation. If you have a general question or a suggestion to improve this page, email the Office of Knowledge and Educational Resources at email@example.com.