Some links will work for NIAID staff only.
To add funding to existing grants for different purposes.
NIAID funds the following types of research supplements:
- Administrative supplements—monies added to a grant without peer review to pay for items within the scope of an award, but unforeseen when a grant application was submitted. NIAID awards them under strictly defined circumstances. PIs should talk to their program officer before submitting their request. Submit requests to NIAID program and grants management staff. For more information, see the Administrative Supplements to Grants and Cooperative Agreements SOP.
- Revisions (competing supplements)—monies added to a grant for a significant expansion of an existing project's scope or to meet the needs of a research protocol costing more than $50,000. The application must be peer reviewed and is submitted directly to the Center for Scientific Review. For details, see the Revision of a Grant SOP.
- Primary Caregiver Technical Assistance Supplements—designed to help postdoctoral research scientists who are taking care of a child or sick family member. Provides PIs who are NIAID grantees with additional funds to hire a mid-to-senior level technician to fill in when the caregiver needs to be away from the lab. For more information, see Primary Caregiver Technical Assistance Supplements.
- Special supplements for individuals—monies added to an existing grant to support and recruit minorities, people with disabilities, and people returning to work from family responsibilities. For more detailed information, see Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research and Research Supplements to Promote Reentry into Biomedical and Behavorial Research Careers.
- Program Announcement: Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research.
- Program Announcement: Research Supplements to Promote Reentry into Biomedical and Behavioral Research Careers
If you have knowledge to share or want more information on this topic, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of this page or its URL and your question or comment. Thanks for helping us clarify and expand our knowledge base.