What Services Does this Resource Provide?
The Structural Genomics Centers for Infectious Diseases (SGCID) apply state-of-the-art high-throughput technologies and methodologies to experimentally characterize the three dimensional (3-D) atomic structure of proteins or other molecules that play an important biological role in human pathogens and infectious diseases, especially those in the NIAID Category A-C priority lists and organisms causing emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. The SGCID Centers conduct studies for characterizing molecular functions and biochemical properties of selected targets and structure-guided design and functional evaluation of drug targets and vaccine candidates.
The Centers provide the research community with
- Experimental 3-D protein structures and protein-ligand complexes (X-ray, NMR, and CryoEM structures of NIAID category A-C priority agents and organisms causing emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases). 3-D structures and target lists can be found at:
- Sequence-verified clones, and peptides.
- Services that deliver requested 3-D structure determination.
- Molecular screening of proteins in complex with inhibitors, cofactors and substrate analogs.
Investigators in academia, not-for-profit organizations, industry, and governments worldwide may request that the Centers determine the structure of proteins of interest in addition to protein targets identified by the Centers themselves.
Criteria for structure selection considers the properties and importance of the protein, availability of genomic or cDNA from the target organism, how determination of its structure will benefit the scientific community and inclusion on the NIAID Category A-C priority lists and organisms causing emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases.
Protein structures determined at the Centers are deposited into the Protein Data Bank (PDB), through which they are freely available to the public. The two Centers have agreed to meet certain structure completion metrics for deposition of their structures into PDB. For details on these criteria please see http://www.csgid.org/csgid/cake/pages/sg_metrics.
Assurances to Users
- All information provided to the Centers will be treated as confidential.
- If necessary, investigators requesting services of the Centers may negotiate a Materials Transfer Agreement to govern the exchange of research materials and tools.
Prioritization and Approval Process
Proposals for targets submitted by the community for determination of 3-D structure in addition to those identified by the Centers themselves are reviewed and approved by NIAID staff according to the following criteria:
- Benefit to the scientific community
- Public health importance
- Feasibility, including, for example, physical/chemical properties of the protein for 3-D structure determination and availability of genomic or cDNA from the target organism
Highest priority is given to targets proposed by the community.
Information and Related Resources
- News and Announcements
- Featured Structures from the Structural Genomics Centers
- Related NIAID-Supported Services