Related Extramural SOP: Conversion of Grants to Cooperative Agreements
Instructions for the Program Officer
- Copy the information below to a new email message and fill in the fields as indicated.
- In addition to indicating that your division director has approved the conversion under Management Issues, have your division director sign a memo or write an email that documents his or her approval.
- Send the division director's approval and this request message to your division coordinator, who will forward it to Emily Linde, Andrea Wurster, and the grants management specialist for this grant.
- GMP will review and either request changes from the program officer or note approval and forward to Matthew Fenton for final approval.
- Matthew Fenton will send approval to Andrea Wurster.
- Andrea Wurster will do the following:
- Change the activity code in IMPAC II to the appropriate cooperative mechanism.
- Inform the program officer and grants management officer of approval.
- Send the approved package including new grant number to assigned grants management specialist for action.
Request to Convert Grant to Cooperative Agreement
Grant or Application Identifiers
- Grant Number:
- Principal Investigator:
- Project Title:
- Award Date for Cooperative Agreement (should be start of new budget period:
Justification for Conversion
Check one or more of the four reasons allowed by policy:
- Investigator proposes an investigator-initiated clinical trial, a prevention, education, or control intervention, or an epidemiologic study for more than $500,000 in direct costs in any year.
- NIAID holds the investigational new drug application and gives regulatory support to a grantee.
- Subjects in clinical research have more than a minimal risk.
- Grantees will acquire, store, modify, or use dangerous biological agents.
- There is substantial involvement by an intramural scientist(s).
Provide one to two paragraphs describing the rationale for converting this grant to a cooperative agreement.
- Has division director approved conversion?
- Are additional funds available if costs of research will increase due to conversion?
- Have proposed terms and conditions of award been reviewed with grants management specialist for this award?
- Are division staff and other services to assist the awardee per terms and conditions of award adequate and will they be available in a timely manner?
- Have the principal investigator and institution been informed that this grant is to be converted to a cooperative agreement?
- Is this conversion acceptable to them?
Attach draft terms and conditions of award:
Date of approval: