Funding News Edition: May 17, 2023 See more articles in this edition
If you are early in your career as an independent clinical investigator, consider applying to work at NIH as a Lasker Clinical Research Scholar.
Through this ongoing annual joint initiative with the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation, NIH will employ and support up to five exceptional Early-Stage Investigators who have not yet achieved tenure at a research institution. Check if you meet the full eligibility criteria at Calling All Dedicated Clinician-Scientists.
Biphasic Program Summary
As detailed in NIH’s reissued notice of funding opportunity (NOFO) Lasker Clinical Research Scholars Program (Si2/R00, Clinical Trial Optional), NIH will support Lasker Scholars for up to 10 years total in two phases:
- Phase 1 (intramural Si2):
- Scholars will receive appointments for 5 to 7 years in the NIH Intramural Research Program (IRP) as a tenure-track clinical research investigator in a participating NIH institute or center (IC).
- You will have an independent clinical research budget, competitive salary, federal employee benefits, ample research space, and supported positions.
- Phase 2 (intramural or extramural R00): After at least 5 successful years of Phase 1, you may choose either option for Phase 2:
- Remain in the IRP with continued intramural funding and potential progression to tenured senior investigator status.
- Obtain a position at an extramural (outside NIH) institution, undergo a programmatic review, and continue your research with an R00 Lasker Scholars Grant at the extramural institution. R00 applicants can request direct costs of up to $499,000 per year for up to 3 years.
Lasker Application Specifics
Check the PAR-23-156 NOFO for full application instructions, including a list of participating NIH ICs and their preferred areas of clinical research interest. NIAID’s areas of interest are allergy, immunology, clinical infectious diseases, and virology.
If your research would fit NIAID, we strongly encourage you to discuss your application plans with our NIAID contact Dr. Steven Holland at email@example.com or 301-402-7684. For applications to other ICs, reach out to the relevant scientific/research contact listed in Section VII of the NOFO.
All Lasker Scholar applications are due by August 25, 2023, 5 p.m. local time of your applicant organization.