What services does this resource provide?
The Schistosomiasis Resource Center (SRC) provides three major strains of snails (Biomphalaria glabrata, Bulinus truncatus and Oncomelania hupensis) and rodents infected with S. haematobium, S. japonicum and S.mansoni. Molecular reagents include nucleic acids and genomic libraries from the various life cycle stages of the Schistosoma species (cercariae, schistosomula, adult worms and eggs).
- Live and frozen schistosome life cycle stages (adult worms, lung stage schistosomules, eggs, miracidia and sporocysts)
- Embryonic snail cell line (B.glabrata)
The SRC also offers support to the research community
- Provides Standard Operating Procedures for working with infected animals.
- Disseminates technical information to laboratories on snail cultivation, parasite collection, and host infection.
- Serves as a backup facility for those investigators who have had problems maintaining life-cycle stages of parasites in their own laboratories.
Click here to access a summary of the history, activities, and accomplishments of the SRC.
Investigators in academia, not-for-profit organizations, industry, and government worldwide may request SRC services.
Assurances to Users
All information provided to the contractors who provide services will be treated as confidential.
Application and Approval Process
To order infected snails and mammals or molecular reagents
Register with BEI Resources to request materials. Registered scientists may request reagents through the BEI Resources catalog online. After your registration application has been approved, you will receive a login name and password. Use these to log in to the website and access the catalog and shopping cart.
An attempt will be made to fill all requests. The annual limit for quantities of materials is indicated on the requisition. However, justifications for exceeding these quantities may be considered.
To obtain support services
Contact the Schistosomiasis Resource Center to obtain
- Standard Operating Procedures for working with infected animals
- Technical information on snail cultivation, parasite collection, and host infection
- Backup for investigators who have had problems maintaining life-cycle stages of parasites in their own laboratories
- There is no charge for materials.
- Users are asked to acknowledge NIAID support when publications arise from work using materials and/or schistosome life stages provided by the SRC.