The immunology laboratory at the Integrated Research Facility at Fort Detrick (IRF-Frederick) offers a variety of capabilities to interrogate the immune responses against pathogens requiring maximum containment. These include but are not limited to cytometry (e.g., immunophenotyping), Luminex multiplex protein/cytokine arrays, cartridge-based cell- sorting (MACSQuant Tyto), ELISAs, serology, in vitro functional assays, intracellular cytokine staining (ICS) enzyme-linked immune absorbent spot (ELISPOT; e.g., T cell and B cell).
Main Areas of Focus
- Immunophenotyping and immune kinetics
- Pathogen-specific serology
- Multiplex cytokine assays and analysis
- In vitro functional assays
Capabilities and Specialized Equipment
- Custom pathogen-specific assay development
- Pathogen-specific prescreening
- Data interpretation and analysis
- BD LSRFortessa flow cytometers with four lasers (405 nm, 488 nm, 561 nm, 640 nm) (two at BSL-4, two at BSL-2) and up to 16 fluorescent parameters
- Luminex Flexmap 3D Instrument System (one at BSL-4)
- Cytek Aurora flow cytometer with five lasers (355 nm, 405 nm, 488 nm, 561 nm, 640 nm) (two planned to go into BSL-4, two currently at BSL-2) and up to 63 simultaneous fluorescent parameters
- ONI Nanoimager S super-resolution microscope with four lasers (405 nm, 488 nm, 561 nm, 640 nm) for PALM, dSTORM, smFRET, and 3D single-particle tracking (one planned to go into BSL-4)
- Miltenyi Biotec MACSQuant Tyto cartridge-based cell sorter with three lasers (405 nm, 488 nm, 638 nm) (one planned to go into BSL-4) (Low pressure: 3-psi cartridge, 18-psi high-speed cartridge) with up to eight simultaneous fluorescent parameters
- Miltenyi Biotec gentleMACS Octo Dissociators with Heaters (two at BSL-4)
- Tecan Infinite M200 PRO multimode plate reader (absorbance, fluorescence, luminescence)
- AquaMax 2000 plate washer with magnetic and cell-washing capabilities
Integrated Research Facility at Fort Detrick (IRF-Frederick)
Jens H. Kuhn, M.D., Ph.D., Ph.D., M.S.
Principal Scientist and Director of Virology (Contractor)
All procedures are well-documented and adhere to standard operating procedures (SOPs), methods, or study-approved plans and agreements.
- Studies relevant to human disease
- Use of surrogate systems to test clinical hypotheses
- Use of biological systems to answer questions regarding disease pathogenesis and strategies for intervention including antimicrobials, vaccines, and other countermeasures
- Developing and incorporating cutting-edge technologies to understand infectious diseases
Read more about how to work with the IRF-Frederick.