Please ensure that you meet the National Biosafety and Biocontainment Training Program (NBBTP)/Intramural Research Training Award (IRTA) Fellowship eligibility criteria before you begin the application process.
Your completed NBBTP/IRTA application package must include:
- Fellowship Application
- Curriculum vitae
- Three References. At least one professional and one academic reference required. No personal references will be accepted.
- Official transcript from institution of highest degree sent directly from the issuing institution to:
Email using secure file transfer: NBBTP@nih.gov
First Class Mail:
NBBTP Program Office, DOHS
Building 13, Room 3K04
13 South Drive, MSC 5760
Bethesda, MD 20892
Note: Receipt of an official transcript with confirmation of degree conferral date prior to the Program Start Date is required.
Fellowship offers are conditional, pending verification of authenticity of application materials, official transcripts, and the applicant's ability to meet federal guidelines for working with select agents.
- A strong academic record, including an advanced degree in a relevant scientific field such as biology, microbiology, bacteriology, virology, mycology, chemistry, occupational health and safety, public health, engineering, or equivalent
- Prior research experience, such as through internships, lab work, or independent study projects
- A demonstrated interest in biosafety, biocontainment, or biosecurity, as well as a passion for pursuing new knowledge in the biorisk field
- A clear description as to how the fellowship will help attain professional goals and objectives
- Strong writing and communication skills, as evidenced through previous papers, presentations, or other published work
- A willingness to work collaboratively with other fellows, mentors, and NIH staff, as well as a commitment to sharing findings and contributing to the broader biorisk community
- A track record of seeking out opportunities for professional development and continuing education, such as attending conferences or workshops
- Application opens: January 1, 2023
- Application closes: March 10, 2023
- Interviews: Mid- to late March
- Notification emails sent to applicants: Early April
- Onboarding process begins: May 1, 2023
- Fellowship start date: August 1, 2023
Privacy Act Notification Statement
Records must be maintained in accordance with Privacy Act System Notice: 09-25-0158-Administration: Records of Applicants and Awardees of the NIH IRTA Program, HHS/NIH/OD/OIR/OE.