Some links will work for NIAID staff only.
To provide a basis for managing the budget for a fiscal year and projecting costs for managing future budgets.
The NIAID financial management plan specifies
- Paylines for various activity codes
- Programmatic reductions to new awards
- Maximum increases for renewal grants and noncompeting nonmodular grants
- Funds set aside for initiatives, selective pay, and R56-Bridge awards
- Other items, such as funding levels and caps for renewal application budgets
The NIAID financial management plan enables the Institute to balance investigator-initiated research and initiatives, maintain grant numbers for the long term, keep consistency in the payline, and anticipate budget needs for future years. Go to Paylines and Funding to see the Financial Management Plan.
It is based on the NIH cost management plan which sets general policies for NIH that lay out the parameters of our financial management plan.
NIAID bases funding levels and grant numbers on our budget allocation from Congress and the costs of new and continuing awards. NIAID also has to balance congressionally mandated grant numbers with numbers of new awards and its ability to pay continuing awards. See the Grant Duration Policy SOP.
After receiving a budget allocation for a new fiscal year, NIH and NIAID establish their financial management plans. NIH establishes policies on caps for renewal grants and small business set-asides, while the Institute sets most paylines and set-asides.
During its planning meetings, Institute management reviews Institute-funded research in the context of the financial management plan and may modify it during a fiscal year. Institute planning for initiatives is accomplished with its advisory Council's advice for science and dollar levels.
Investigators and NIAID Staff
- Stay abreast of changes by checking Paylines and Funding regularly for NIAID Paylines and Financial Management Plan.
- Sign up for Email Alerts at NIAID Email Alerts Subscription Center.
- For paylines, learn what information to expect and when at Paylines and Budget Pages Change Throughout the Year.
firstname.lastname@example.org—DEA Knowledge Communication Team
If you have knowledge to share or want more information on this topic, email email@example.com with the title of this page or its URL and your question or comment. Thanks for helping us clarify and expand our knowledge base.