NIAID provides this template Manual of Operations for Research Awards for foreign research institutions. Use it as a generic starting point to document your processes for sponsored research grants and cooperative agreements. It provides examples of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for pre- and post-award workflows.
Staff in your institution’s Office of Sponsored Research Services (OSRS) or equivalent can customize the SOPs in the Manual to reflect how your institution operates, clarify different roles, and support the application and documentation requirements of your granting agencies and funders.
Download and save a local copy:
- Manual of Operations in Microsoft Word—best for editing
- Manual of Operations in Acrobat—best for an online preview or printing
We thank the following organizations for contributing examples to the Manual:
- Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research, University of Ghana, Ghana
- Centre for Infectious Disease Research, Zambia
- Institut Pasteur de Tunis, Tunisia
- University of Pretoria, South Africa
Drs. Paula Strickland and Matthew Fenton of NIAID prepared the Manual. Direct any questions about the Manual or NIAID foreign awards to AITrainingHelpDesk@niaid.nih.gov.
Learn more about NIAID International Applications and Foreign Grants Management.