NIH uses this list of codes to indicate the extent of research animal involvement within a grant application. They appear on the summary statements grantees receive, and also on the grants management and program officer worksheets in IMPAC.
- 10 = No live vertebrate animals involved
- 20 = Vertebrate animals involved, administrative review required
- 30 = Vertebrate animals involved, no SRG concerns noted
- 35 = For institutional training grant trainees working on mentored projects that involve vertebrate animals, Animal Welfare Assurance required just-in-time.
- 44 = Vertebrate animals involved, SRG concerns noted
- 48 = Conditional award with terms and conditions
- 54 = Concerns resolved, conditions removed
For more information, see the Animals in Research portal.