NIH uses the following codes to indicate the extent of research animal involvement within a grant application. They appear on applicants’ summary statements and on the grants management and program officer worksheets in IMPAC.
- Code 10 — No live vertebrate animals involved
- Code 20 — Vertebrate animals involved, administrative review required
- Code 30 — Vertebrate animals involved, no SRG concerns noted
- Code 35 — For institutional training grant trainees working on mentored projects that involve vertebrate animals, Animal Welfare Assurance required just-in-time.
- Code 44 — Vertebrate animals involved, SRG concerns noted
- Code 46 — Vertebrate animals involved, method of euthanasia must be resolved with OLAW prior to award. Restricted award not allowed unless resolved.
- Code 48 — Conditional award with terms and conditions
- Code 54 — Concerns resolved, conditions removed
For more information, see the Research Using Vertebate Animals portal.