This application to funding timeline is for Unsolicited, Investigator-Initiated R01s (not applications responding to initiatives) by review cycle for fiscal year 2022 funding.
The text below uses actual R01 submission deadlines for investigator-initiated applications. We based them on NIH standard due dates. If a standard date falls on a weekend or holiday, we adjusted it to the next business day.
Step 1. Prepare your application
Since your institution may take days, weeks, or months to process a grant application, get your internal due date from your business office. Also check the timing for any required NIH or NIAID preapprovals before you apply. Learn more at Some Deadlines Are Before the Application Due Date.
- Two months: Planning and writing.
- One month: Getting feedback.
- Two weeks: Checks and edits.
Step 2. Organization submits the application by the receipt date
Standard R01 receipt dates by review cycle:
- Review Cycle 1
- New non-AIDS applications: By February 5, 2021
- All AIDS applications: By May 7, 2021
- Resubmissions, non-AIDS: By March 5, 2021
- Review Cycle 2
- New non-AIDS applications: By June 7, 2021
- All AIDS applications: By September 7, 2021
- Resubmissions, non-AIDS: By July 6, 2021
- Review Cycle 3
- New non-AIDS applications: By October 5, 2021
- All AIDS applications: By January 7, 2022
- Resubmissions, non-AIDS: By November 5, 2021
Learn more about tracking your application’s status and your next steps at After You Submit an Application.
Step 3. Assignment
Step 4. NIH assigns applications to reviewers
- Review Cycle 1: May 2021
- Review Cycle 2: September 2021
- Review Cycle 3: January 2022
Step 5. Applications undergo initial peer review
Scientific review timing by cycle:
- Review Cycle 1: June or July 2021
- Review Cycle 2: October or November 2021
- Review Cycle 3: February or March 2022
Find overall impact scores in the Commons within three business days of initial peer review.
You will see your summary statement in the Commons within 30 days after initial peer review.
Learn more at Understand the Review Process.
After Review Stage
Step 6. NIAID begins to fund applications that had expedited second-level review
We discuss expedited review at Second-Level Review: Advisory Council.
- Review Cycle 1: Starting in October 2021, assuming we have a budget by then.
- Review Cycle 2: Starting in November 2021
- Review Cycle 3: Starting in March 2021
Step 7. NIAID Council
Our Council recommends funding for selective pay and non-expedited applications. Learn more at Second-Level Review: Advisory Council.
- Review Cycle 1: September 13, 2021
- Review Cycle 2: January 31, 2022
- Review Cycle 3: June 6, 2022
After Council, we may ask you to Respond to Pre-Award Requests (“Just-in-Time”).
Step 8. NIAID funds selective pay and non-expedited awards
- Review Cycle 1: October 2021, assuming we have a budget by then, through end of fiscal year
- Review Cycle 2: February 2022 through end of fiscal year
- Review Cycle 3: June 2022 through end of fiscal year
Step 9. End of fiscal year
The last day of fiscal year 2022 is September 30, 2022.
Learn more about timelines, preparation time, and review cycles at Timelines & Due Dates.