- Provides the director, Division of Extramural Activities (DEA), and senior staff within the NIAID scientific divisions with advice, program management, and guidance on matters pertaining to research training, which includes the participation of underrepresented minorities in research and training programs.
- Serves as the focal point for establishing NIAID-wide goals for Training and Career Development Grant Programs intended for developing new generations of scientists to conduct research in areas of interest to NIAID.
- Manages the following NIAID Research Supplement programs:
- Administers NIAID Loan Repayment Programs
- Implements NIAID Small Business Programs and funding opportunities in conjunction with the DEA director, scientific program officers, and senior NIH and NIAID staff.
- Leads NIAID small business outreach efforts and initiative development.
- Participates in international extramural activities pertaining to
- Review of and assistance with NIAID international programs
- Implementation of risk mitigation programs that train foreign health science administrators and scientists how to properly oversee and manage NIAID research awards, including International Applications and Foreign Grants Management.
- Manages Foreign Organization System reviews, which helps foreign officials and researchers in low- and middle-income countries understand and build their capacity to manage NIH research funds.
- Develops best practices for complying with NIH funding policies with leaders at foreign institutions.
- Represents DEA on NIAID workgroups and committees, as well as trans-NIH advisory groups and committees responsible for reviewing or improving research training (domestic and foreign); science education; inclusion of diverse populations in research training and development; matters of health disparity; international partnerships and programs; small business research funding; and program leadership.
Check Contact Information for ORTSP.
Learn more about the rest of DEA at About DEA.